20 February 2020
Portsmouth Young Sports Person of the Year
Portsmouth Young Sports Person of the Year is an award for Portsmouth residents who are 18 and under and currently competing in sport at a high level. The scheme is established by Portsmouth City Council and Portsmouth Sports Council as a commitment to support local young people with the talent, dedication and prowess to compete in sport at the highest level. This is an open award and we encourage nominations for those with disabilities or learning difficulties.
The award will be in the form of a trophy and an award of £250 from City of Portsmouth Sports Council to assist financially in the cost of competing in sport at a high level. There will also be other awards for excellence in sporting achievements.
To be eligible applicants must:
• Must be 18 years or under
• Must be permanent residents of the City of Portsmouth (PO1-PO6 postcode areas).
• The sport should be recognised by Sport England with an established national governing body
• The nomination may come from parent, coach, club, school, college or other recognised body in sporting activity
• Applicants will need to provide appropriate supporting documentation and contact details from their regional or national governing body to support their application.
• Applications will be considered by the Awarding Panel from the Portsmouth Sports Council Executive, which will be the final arbiter for any application
• Portsmouth City Council along with the sponsors may wish to use images for promotional purposes. To comply with the General Data Protection Regulations
2017, we need specific permission before we take any photographs or recordings of you or your nominee. The parent or guardian must sign and agree to these terms.
Individual Sports Team Sports
All athletes must show evidence of dedication to their individual sport and carried out the training requirements set by the trainer/coach/governing body. Athletes must show willing in that they wherever possible, they have applied to represent their region or national championships
For those athletes who are ranked in the top 50 regionally or nationally they must show evidence of this in the year of nomination Athletes must show evidence of dedication to their regional or national squads, even if they have not finally been selected. The important part of the selection process is the dedication shown by the young athlete
Athletes may be a member of a national or regional level squad Evidence of training and competition whatever the outcome needs to be shown.
For further information or an application form please contact:
Leisure and Sports Facilities Manager
Portsmouth City Council
or email email@example.com